Monday, July 13, 2015

I Always Want to Be with My Own Family

Email from Monday, July 13, 2015
 
Dear Family, Friends, and Strangers,
 
Hope all is well back home. Things are great here. We truly had a week of miracles and I'm feeling happy, healthy, and humble. I've also been away far too long because this week, I kept coming up with great invention ideas but they're all things that exist that I just haven't seen in almost 9 months (ew don't remind me, I know, I'm officially old in the mission). But I thought I invented a dishwasher, a hair dryer, and a can opener. Ah the luxeries you all enjoy back home, haha just kidding, I don't miss any of those (although I do miss American cake...I hate cake here....)

Hermana Monar started feeling un poco enfermita yesterday and today tambièn so I'm playing the role of Dr. Hermana Gauger and serving her lots and lots. One of the greatest miracles that I witnessed this week is how much we've been able to strengthen our companionship and friendship ever since I started putting in real effort to develop patience. I didn't realize how bad it was but I'm happy that my companion loved me enough to tell me I needed to improve and that she's been so understanding of me as I strive to be a little better each day.

This week was Boston's birthday and as I was studying and reading this week about the Atonement, my mind reflected a lot on how I first gained my understanding and testimony of the Atonement and it began July 7, 2011. That day changed my life and anyone who knows me and my family well knows that it was a difficult time for us all. But it was the time I grew the most and I'm grateful every day for that experience and the experience of watching my family grow closer and stronger after losing Boston. I thought about an experience I had a year ago when I went to the temple alone and then I went and visted Boston's grave and I sat and talked for a while and I left with a firm commitment to serve my mission with all my heart, might, mind, and strength because I promised Boston that I would make him proud. I take the role of being an aunt very seriously and even though I can't be there singing Frozen songs with Annabelle, high-fiving Lincoln, rolling around with Petey, and I can't even see Boston in this earthly life, I'm doing something even more important and I pray each day that I can be a good example for them and for my own future children. I'll miss out on a lot of family pictures but the testimony that my family will be able to share will make a much bigger impact than my presence in these 18 months. I'm grateful that my plaque says Hermana Gauger because it means I represent my family and not myself. I also made a promise to my parents to give it my all and nothing less. And most important, I covenanted with my Heavenly Father in His holy house that I would sacrifice everything I have and am to serve Him. 

It's not always as easy as it seems but it's worth it every single day. It's worth it when you see your recent convert passing the sacrament for the first time to his mom who recently returned to activity in the church. It's worth it when you hear someone say that they received an answer to their prayer and they know that the Book of Mormon is true. It's worth it when your companion tears up and tells you "what we're doing is changing lives forever". It's worth it when you just feel that the Lord is smiling down on you and the Spirit testifies that this is God's work. I love every single day. I love this gospel. I love the family that taught me so much and helped me get to this point in my life and that writes me (almost) every week to encourage me. I just love this work and I love my Father in Heaven.

I couldn't be happier and I just pray each day that whoever reads this, wherever they may be can recognize that this happiness is within reach for everyone. I promise that. 

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Gauger :)
 
 Our pensionista's perrito tan chiquitito
 
  "Dog Days of Invierno"-Hermana Gauger Photography, todos los derechos reservados

 I had to teach the new gringa how to wash her clothes by hand :)


 Our pensionista made lasagna por my companion's birthday

 Hermana Monar's birthday with the other Hermanas 

 HAPPY 34 YEAR ANNIVERSARY TO THE BEST PARENTS I'VE EVER HAD. 
(Gracias por ser tan guapos ;))
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment