Saturday, November 22, 2014

Everybody Makes Mistakes, Everybody Has Those Days, Every Missionary Knows What-What I´m Talking Bout



Email from Tuesday, November 18, 2014, Mexico MTC




FAMILY & FRIENDS! 

This week, I enjoyed a sweet slice of humble pie with every meal and it was tough stuff to swallow. But it was absolutely necessary and I needed every bite. I love failing because it motivates me to succeed! I had an awesome interview with a member of my branch presidency on Sunday and I just am so grateful for inspired priesthood leaders, he gave me the greatest advice and totally  helped me realize the difference between ¨"not being good enough" and "setting unrealistic goals" and turns out, I´ve got a problem with misunderstanding that difference. I want to be achieve all of those goals and improve but then when I fail, I feel like I´m not good enough to be here. But THAT IS NOT TRUE! The Lord doesn´t call the qualified, He qualifies the called. I´ve improved so much since I´ve been here and I just lose sight of that sometimes. But it´s times like this week that make me so grateful for the Atonement that allows me to truly change my human nature and BECOME a better Jennifer Gauger. I LOVE THE ATONEMENT! IT IS EVERYTHING! If you´re reading this and are unsure of what that word means, I happily invite you to visit lds.org or mormon.org and find out today how the Atoning Sacrifice of Jesus Christ can change your life. 

Anyway, this week was rough but when I look back on it now, it was an awesome week. I cannot even believe that this week marks a month since I said adios to California! In some ways, I feel like I´ve lived here for years and known my district for my whole life but then I feel like I just got here and am starting to totally freak out about leaving! I know that probably doesn´t make sense to a lot of people, but time is a very interesting concept out here. 

Spiritual Highlights 
We watched "Mountain of The Lord" and I was completely overwhelmed with gratitude for temples on the earth today and the absolute miracle it was to spend so much time in the temple before I came out here. It truly is the house of the Lord. We also had a temple challenge before one of our devotionals and I had been inside almost half of the temples that they showed. HOW COOL IS THAT?! It breaks my heart to hear people here say that they only went a few times before they came because the temple was pivotal in my mission prep and I´m so grateful for parents who sacrificed so much time this summer to spend time with me in the place that matters most. Shout out to my pops for all the special moments we shared together, I think about them all the time.

We had a devo (via video) of Elder Bednar and IT WAS LIFE-CHANGING. I could watch it every day and learn something new but instead I just have to reread my 5 pages of notes every day and be inspired. It was all about the character of Christ and how if we let this mission be an opportunity to put off our "natural tendencies" and turn outward in service and love then we will find that we have become more like Him. But the trick is that we can´t serve in order to improve, we can´t even think of ourselves at all and once we lose ourselves, we´ll find ourselves. It was an incredible thought and it helped me set a lot of goals for my mission and even since the devotional, I´ve been trying to constantly put Hna. Rhees first and think of myself less. It´s tough but worth it. 

Temporal Adventures
We play volleyball every day with our district and I spend half the time on the ground laughing because we are all terrible and hilariously so. We also harmonize during our service activities and the boys are such great singers too and I kid you not, it sounds like angels when we all sing hymns together. The spirit is always so strong, I love music! Also, I saved a bird´s life! A bird flew into our casa and couldn´t get out but was too scared to let anyone catch it so I helped it fly into the laundry room and then Hermana Rhees got the door just as I herded it outside. It was such a simple yet satisfying moment. I can´t wait to save spiritual lives in Bolivia soon. (Actually I can because I can´t even handle the thought of leaving my district here but I know I´m supposed to be in Bolivia, I just wish I could take my faves with me)

Anyway, I´m happy, alive, and loving life. Elder Schmidt said something awesome the other day and it really made me think. There´s 7 billion people in the world, 15 million members of the church, 88,000 missionaries, and less than half of those are sisters. AND I AM ONE OF THEM! This is the only chance I will ever have to truly represent Jesus Christ (See "Man´s Search For Happiness" for more info on that statement) and I just think WHAT A BLESSING. Life is beautiful and wonderful here in the palace walls and I love it.

I know that my Savior lives and loves me. I know my Father in Heaven knows me as an individual and has a plan for my life and part of that plan is to be right here, right now. I know the Book of Mormon IS the word of God and that reading it will help you temporally and spiritually and that through it, you can come to know and love Jesus Christ. I know these things are true and I´m striving each day to go from having a testimony and being converted. Conversion comes when the knowledge of these things changes the way I live and that´s happening every day here. Don´t just have a testimony, be converted unto the Lord. That´s the best advice I could possibly give. I love you all! 

Con mucho amor,
Hermana Gauger :)
 
 Leaves Are Falling even though it´s 75 degrees and sunny

 My main Hermana! She reminds me to work and I remind her to laugh. It works PERFECTLY! Plus when we scrubbed walls for our service project, she did the bottom half and I did the top!

 Just girly things like mirror selfies

 Our Maestra is the BEST

 Solo Espanol! Yep, this week we got our solo espanol stickers which means when anyone talks to us, they´re supposed to test our spanish. it´s tough but amazing how far I´ve come in just a few weeks! I can totally testify with power in Spanish and I LOVE IT!

 Trying to escape the palace walls! Just kidding, I never want to leave!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, what's the kind of watch you were wearing? I'm looking for one like that

    ReplyDelete